Saturday, August 23, 2008

Quiet week

Well, there hasn't been loads to report from South Pole during the latter days of this week. It has been pretty much par for the course on all accounts. People talk of their work and travel plans for after the Ice fairly often, and it's interesting to hear what options they are considering. I managed to get on the standby list for a trans-Atlantic tall ship voyage, which I will probably go ahead and do should an opening manifest itself in the next month or so. I don't want to pay through the nose extra just because I couldn't book airfare early enough.

I guess we did have a nice teleconference with the folks at the Mars Phoenix Lander operations team. The Pole and MPL delegations exchange recent photos and answer each other's questions. It's finally getting colder at night there in the Martian Arctic than we are here at Earth's southern geographic pole. Next month the idea is to get us, MPL, and the International Space Station in on the same conference call together. I'll be there with rings on my fingers and bells on my toes!

No comments: