Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bookworm

Well, I'm pushing pretty hard to get through all the books I brought or was sent down here. I've gotten 41 books read since the beginning of the new year, and I'm currently reading about 5 more in parallel. The main book I'm pushing on getting through is "The Great War for Civilization: The Conquest of the Middle East" by Robert Fisk. It's only 1,283 pages long, but he's a really accessible writer, and it's not difficult to read whatsoever-just very lengthy. The last full chapter I finished was about the Armenian Holocaust of 1915. I just now need fewer things to do to get in the way of me finishing off this and all the other books I have remaining.

I even skipped an open mic event on Saturday night so that I could get in some hours of uninterrupted reading. I had thought about doing a couple sea chanteys for the event, but just didn't feel up to it. It was probably fine that I missed the most of it, since a few folks seemed to have had a bit too good a time for their own good/my taste.

"Unforgiven" was the feature presentation for Sunday Select Cinema last night. That movie absolutely was firing on all cylinders. There's such a richness to the dialog and acting, and (of course) the scenery really pops out to those of us that haven't been anywhere but the Flat White for the better part of a year.

Schofield Kid: "Well, I guess they had it coming..."
William Munny: "We all got it coming, kid."

No comments: