Monday, May 26, 2008

cyclical failures

Well, it seems I've strayed into yet another period of high equipment failure rate. Both my sky cameras that study auroras have developed software problems over the "holiday weekend". That's quotes because I was working all the while folks were having a nice 2-day respite from the grind. I probably would have been fine with that if troubleshooting problem equipment hadn't ended up requiring so many hours of my day, plus even more overtime than usual. Hopefully these software issues will be solved relatively easily, but one never knows what might just be the tip of the iceberg.

I'm also having a lot of problem with the Plexiglas domes over my projects in the B2 science lab frosting on their interior surfaces. Back in the old science building they had heated outside air that was really dry ducted right into the domes to mitigate frosting. In our new, state-of-the-art station's science lab we don't have any of that. It seems like a major oversight (one of many) on the part of the designers of the building.

But, not all was work and gloom this weekend. I got to take part in the social experiment that was a toga party on Saturday night. We had exactly the same ratio of males to females as in the station population, and boy was it lopsided. Still, I think the best part of the night was when I walked in and pretty much all the guys made me do the Viking handshake with them (grab forearms instead of hands). That's something my bro and I do all the time back home.

Late Sunday night we had a false fire alarm as the guys were pulling equipment back into the garage after the BBQ that had been held there had concluded. It seemed to be much more jarring and invasive to the restful night than others have been. It took me a long time to simmer down from that one.

We've less than one month until mid-winter, and bands are practicing pretty hard now. I've got a lot to learn in terms of guitar playing, but at least the songs I'm singing are coming along really well.

No comments: