Friday, February 15, 2008

First full day of winter

Well, this place certainly has cleared out. You can step out into the hall and usually not see anybody else for at least a little while, day or night. With so many fewer people rattling around the station it definitely takes a lot higher percentage of our population to get tasks like moving food/beverages into the elevated station like we did yesterday. I guess we're still in flux with people acclimatizing as well, because I was the only person that showed up for my house mouse duties yesterday, and had to clean the bathroom by myself.

In the evening I watched the A&E mini-series "Shackleton", which was very enjoyable. I'd seen it while in grad school, and it was one of the many things that ramped up my enthusiasm for coming down to the Ice in the first place. It's amazing how similar Shackleton and Kenneth Brannaugh looked in that. It was cool to see it for the first time since having been to the Ice, and remembering how much determination to get myself down here it sparked in my heart during that rather trying time in my life.

After finishing that, I finally got around to watching the preview for "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". It's hard to believe, even having seen it, that there's a new IJ movie just around the bend. Unfortunately, my postcards to George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have yet to elicit any reply, and now that the station's closed there chance of a special DVD showing up to include the Pole in the excitement when the flick opens on May 22.

No comments: