Sunday, November 8, 2009

Billions, ya' dig?

Yesterday I got my first good work out in the field under my belt. I had to dig up the electronics case for a geophysical experiment that I support to retrieve some data off a compact flash card inside. It took a couple hours of shoveling carefully, to ensure not to cut any power or data cables, to uncover the box, but the retrieval of the data was quick and easy. It was beautiful and nearly cloudless, though cooler (~-50F), with very light wind. I've another field project that I need to do, but the winds are higher today (~20 kts), so I will postpone until a more clement day.

With all the tumult in the news about NASA and the manned space program's future, I thought I'd mark what would have been Carl Sagan's 75th birthday (11/09/1934). May I be as articulate and engaged in my life as he was in his.

"The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition."
---------------
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
---------------
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
~Carl Sagan

1 comment:

Becky said...

Today one of my roommates was complaining of the cold. I just looked at him and said-this isn't cold. There hasn't even been a hard frost yet. He insisted that it was cold out. I think time on the Ice changes how you perceive temperature ever after.
So it was nice to hear that proper cold can still be found!