Thursday, October 30, 2008

So it begins...or continues to not begin

Yup, the Basler was canceled for us at Pole here today because of bad weather in McMurdo. If this lasts long enough for the good weather here to fail then get nice in McMurdo, we'll have the first volley of "weather pong" delaying redeployment. It should be noted that a lot of this situation was due to budget shortfalls. I'm sure The Powers That Be have made every possible sacrifice to ensure that the people in the field aren't carrying the lion's share of the burden that financial challenge might entail...

I've got until Monday to decide about ditching Oz/SE Asia for the Atlantic, but will probably opt not to further complicate my life by trying to cancel and readjust my travel plans. Besides, I've really been looking forward to bagging my 32nd to 36th countries and 6th continent for my travel resume.

“I know not how to defeat others; I know only how to win over myself.”
~Yaju Munenori, Sword Instructor to the Tokugawa Shogunate

2 comments:

Lilly said...

Happy Hallowe'en Ethan! Will you get any pumpkin pie at the pole?

Gee, I wish I was in the 'horrible' position of having to chose between travelling around NZ/SE Asia and sailing on a tall ship! Oh the agony, oh the ecstasy...

Lilly

EthanG said...

Nope, I think they had a cobbler of some sort for dessert yesterday. I haven't had dessert since February or so, anyway. Hopefully I'm not given the option of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving later this month...

Yeah, this is the good sort of (travel) situation in which to find oneself.