Wednesday, August 12, 2009

More from the road

Well, I'm now in Delaware, my 31st state visited, and will shortly be heading over to U Del. for a full day of training on a cosmic ray experiment that will be coming to Pole this coming (austral) summer season. Yesterday I was at U. Maryland, and got to see my old neighborhood after a quarter century's time away. Nobody has fixed the traffic problems here, so I had the usual reaction to the place. {insert expletives here} My connecting flight in New York was delayed 4 hours Monday night, so I wasn't able to hit the hay until 3:30 in the morning on Tuesday. But, I managed to keep my wits together to participate in the training (I assume) and drive myself up I-95 to Newark, DE in the afternoon. Despite having a bookstore right next to the hotel, I opted to just crash early and hard once I made it to my hotel room. I'm feeling pretty good this morning, after breakfast, and will hopefully have no problems getting myself over to the campus.

So, I guess some highlights thus far have been seeing all those forested hill-mountains up in New Hampshire, seeing the tops of the Empire State and Chrysler (is it still called that?) buildings in NYC, visiting the old 'hood in Maryland, driving through the harbor tunnel in Baltimore with a pack of guys riding sport bikes revving their engines really loudly, and driving over the huge Susquehanna River on my way to Delaware.

It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult. Muad’Dib knew that every experience carries its lesson.
~Frank Herbert

No comments: