Monday, October 12, 2009

Roughing it

Well, the morning started out a bit overcast, but it's now clear and fine here in Christchurch. I exploded my duffel bag's contents all over my room this morning, and will reassemble them this evening before I call it a day early to get up tomorrow at some unreasonably early hour to catch my flight.

I've had lunch the last two days in a nice food court just south of Cathedral Square. Yesterday I had Cambodian; today it was Thai. I really liked eating in places like that when actually in SE Asia, since you usually got a lot of variety and quantity of eats for your baht, khmer, etc.

I've been spending a lot of time just walking around and enjoying the town. I'm reading "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson, as well, which is suitably different from his other works, and proving to be quite a good read as I get accustomed to his invented jargon and history for this particular sci-fi tome.

"Nothing is more important than that you see and love the beauty that is right in front of you, or else you will have no defense against the ugliness that will hem you in and come at you in so many ways."
~Neal Stephenson, Anathem

2 comments:

Becky said...

Ananthem was a blast-I left the Baroque Cycle in the MacTown library-you could easily re-locate it further south if yo haven't read it yet.
I know the pain of being forced to spend more time in the bright fine weather of Cheech. Suck it up and tough it out, kiddo-your cramped, hot noisy flight to the Ice is coming soon enough.

EthanG said...

Yeah, I loved the Baroque Cycle, and have read a number of N.S. books over the years. I still need to get my hands on a copy of "Zodiac" sometime.