Monday, May 18, 2009

Off we go...

Well, this weekend my brother and I got quite a treat that just happened to coincide with his general birthday frivolities. A friend that has a gorgeous Stearman biplane took us up for a ride, which was a first for the both of us. I have wanted to fly in this open-cockpit aircraft for well over a decade, and it was unreal to finally go up and tool around.


We got to see our homestead from the air, as well as fly over town and out to the reservoir and county lake.



The aircraft is in beautiful condition, and the sound of the radial engine was very sweet to the ears.



It was so cool to see these places from the air with the wind whipping by. Getting to roar up the valley past my folks' house, up and over the dam, and on over the county lake like we did was something I've dreamed about from my first beginnings of interest in flight at a very young age.

I hope to find out some definitive things about my job hunt this week. I'm starting to crash up against some deadlines, and decisions will have to be made. It was great to have some spectacular diversion this weekend (I also got to see the new "Star Trek"), because I'm rapidly tiring of certain things remaining up in the air. Sadly, this has not and does not have quite the same cachet as winging around in a biplane.

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

1 comment:

Becky said...

"up in the air, junior birdmen!" Glad you had some fun. The thing about life is that it happens whether not not we make decisions about it.-Remember, where ever you go, there you are.