Monday, March 1, 2010

Pretty quiet

There really has not been loads of excitement here at Pole in the last week. Work continues apace as we complete the station closing activities, and of course all the normal work continues to be done as well. Last week I had my first stint in the dish pit, cleaning up after the galley and its "customers" as part of the rotation everybody on-station has to follow.

Sunday night again has become the night to go to the B1 lounge and watch a good movie, which will be preceded by real movie previews and a short film orchestrated by yours truly and one of my friends. This past weekend it was the sci-fi classic "Starship Troopers", which I hadn't watched in quite a few years. We've had good turnout thus far, and it is a really nice way to punctuate the week's end as my work days continue to pile up in an unbroken chain between Oct. "09 and Nov. "10. I'm currently at 125 days and counting. I finally got around to watching the first season of "Deadwood", and really liked it. Some of us are also watching the new version of "Battlestar Galactica", of which I've only seen the very first episode, but like a lot thus far. I'm still hitting the gym 6 times per week, and may participate in a boxing/mixed martial arts club one of the guys may put on here starting I'm not sure when. Thus far there are no bands that I know of, but do hope something will coalesce before too long. I love how much freedom there is to shape what little free time into whatever I want it to be down here.

Temperatures seem to be solidly hovering in the -50° F range now, and the sun continues its spiral to the horizon.

“Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.”
~Robert Heinlein

No comments: